Moving along with the Modo tutorial on Lynda. We have this very classy lamp. I’m becoming more familiar with the app I must admit, and it seems less intimidating. Of course it will take a while before the various tools come naturally. Blender is very hotkey driven, and I like that approach. Not too keen on going to tool shelves and menus all the time. I hope Modo has a decent set of hotkeys.
Nothing too exciting, but still quite a decent result from just a plane and a cube. Plane has a grass ecosystem, and cube has a tiled brick displacement texture – all from the one colour map. Not that it matters, but the cube was exported from Modo. Vue cubes are not UVed, so that limits what one can do with them, texture wise. For the ecosystem on the plane, of course, UVing is irrelevant.
Feeling very uninspired at the moment. So, time to bite the bullet and learn how to use Modo, which I bought about six months ago. I’m still not sure if it can do what I want (that Blender can’t), but I guess I’ll find out eventually. I do plan to do some simple modelling for a while, as a necessary prelude to some simple texturing, so this is the opportunity.
The hotel proved a bit of a challenge. The original model was only divided into the glass (doors and windows) and the rest. After much experimentation I found the best way to deal with it was to open in Blender, break into separate objects (much easier to select faces in Blender than in Mari), export as obj groups, which then gave the selection groups in Mari. I had originally tried just painting the different colours, not in a selection, and it proved a nightmare. I think there was a mismatch between the quads and the pixel grid of the paint buffer. Blender has much better selection tools for geo. And it’s a lot more responsive than Mari too, which I find quite sluggish.
Exploring some different lighting options.
Leigh kindly provided some set dressing for the scene, which I have not previously used. It needs a small amount of editing, but there’s an awful lot of detailed stuff there. Not sure how I’ll handle the texturing. I should build up a library of similar assets myself.
Anyway, base colours are assigned to most assets. Even such a simple job takes a while, especially with it being so hot at the moment. Melbourne is having unprecedented November heat. Never since records began, etc etc. <sarcasm>I wonder why </sarcasm>. The free version of Mari won’t let me import all the objects in the scene at once (limit of 5 objects) but that shouldn’t be too much of an issue. I don’t really need them all in Mari together – I’m texturing them individually anyway. That set dressing could be a problem though.
Spent some time on the shop on the left. Getting more familiar with selections, masking, layer organization, etc. All the basic stuff that I don’t have to even think about in Photoshop.
So this is rendered in Vue. Everything has just a procedural colour set in Vue except the aforementioned shop that has a diffuse texture painted in Mari. Plus I assigned a glass material in Vue to the windows and door.
The diffuse texture is just a few flat colours at this stage. Lots of grunge needed. Most of the houses/shops in my Provence book look like they haven’t had any maintenance for fifty years. Lots of scope for detail. I think the texture painter’s motto must surely be Break it Up.
I like the mood of this one. I think the orange works better than the pink. And using an actual atmosphere of course, gives it a bit of atmosphere. I like where this is going. Made some small modifications to the models too, that I think work better.